How to get hereFly, drive or bus
Flying into Alice Springs
Attendees can fly into Alice Springs Airport. From Alice Springs, you can travel to Kings Creek Station by minibus or car:
- The Brumby Week minibuses will operate a $50 each way/$100 return guided tour from Alice Springs to Kings Creek Station with Brian Hampson and Chris Pollitt. Buses will depart Alice Springs airport early the day before the conference begins (27th August) and depart Kings Creek Station early the day following the conference (2nd September) to get people to departure flights from Alice Springs. Limited places available. It is advised that you arrive by plane no later than midday on the 27th of August and depart by plane after midday on the 2nd of September if you wish to travel by minibus.
4WD and regular vehicles can be hired from Central Car Rentals. They offer a reduced rate for 8+ days. A 4WD allows you to drive on the gravel roads. You can also hire a regular car, however please note that you would have to stay on bitumen roads.
Flying into Uluru / Ayers Rock Airport
Attendees can fly into Uluru Ayers Rock Airport. From Uluru, attendees can fly to Kings Creek Station.
- Flights from Uluru to Kings Creek Station can be organised through Fly Uluru. Make up a group of attendees to get the best price.
- Seeing ‘The Rock’ from the air, in the early morning light, is an unforgettable Central Australian experience. For a little extra cost KataTjuta (The Olgas), Mt Conner and Kings Canyon can be added to the trip.
Notes for hiring a car
- If you are hiring a car, extra insurance may be needed if travelling at night – insurance is often void for hire cars driving at night in Central Australia.
- If you are interested in hiring a car as a group, we can help organise this. Just indicate that you would like to hire a car with other conference attendees on the registration form, and we will be in contact.
Driving to Kings Creek Station
For Australia-based participants, you may want to drive directly from your location to Kings Creek Station. Whether you choose to hire a car or drive your own car direct to Kings Creek Station, the roads to Brumby Week are an excellent opportunity to begin to see the stunning beauty of Central Australia.
It is recommended that participants drive during daylight hours and be careful around dawn and dusk due to the prevalence for wildlife to be out and about. It is common to see camels, horses, cattle and kangaroos very close to the roadside.
Travelling from Alice Springs you have 3 options. You can travel via the Mereenie Loop Road, the Ernest Giles Road (both dirt and approximately 300kms from Alice Springs), or the Luritja Road via Lasseter Highway (sealed and 450kms from Alice Springs).
If travelling from Ayers Rock or Erldunda on the Lasseter Highway the turn off is at the Luritja junction. Distance from Ayers Rock is 300kms. Before travelling on the dirt roads it is highly recommended to check the conditions of the roads before your journey.